Whale Watching July to October
Hervey Bay’s humpback whales are just as friendly as the locals! That’s what makes our whale watching in Hervey Bay so special as it is the only place in the world where whales actually stop and take time to play. In the relaxed surrounds of our bay, these gentle giants enjoy 'people watching' as much as we love watching them!
Every year approximately 8,000 humpback whales migrate from Antarctica to the Whitsunday Islands to breed, then in late July to early November on their return to the south they bring their calves to Hervey Bay for some time out and play in our warm waters.
Here are just a few of the amazing tours on offer. Our team can book your tour and arrange the complimentary pick up and drop off right to the door of The Bay Apartments!
- Half-day whale watching encounters depart twice daily
- Guaranteed sightings with experienced crew in a fast and luxurious catamaran
- Large decks, with a water-level viewing platform and underwater viewing windows
- Morning or afternoon tea provided, plus antipasti platter on return cruise
- Free courtesy transfers to and from The Bay Apartments
- They also offer a full day Remote Fraser Island Experience, where you may have the chance to swim and snorkel with whales!
Please contact our friendly team to book in this tour for you.
Spirit of Hervey Bay
- Guaranteed sightings, if no whales spotted on your cruise a free return cruise ticket offered
- Expert commentary on the whales and features of Fraser Island
- Hydrophone equipped to listen to the whales singing
- Complimentary morning or afternoon tea
- Comfortable, fast and stable catamaran
- 6 viewing decks spread over 5 spacious levels, plus an underwater viewing room
- Courtesy transfers between accommodation and marina
Please contact our friendly team make a booking for you.
- Choose between an extended morning (5 hour cruise) or afternoon + sunset (4 - 4.5 hour cruise)
- Local knowledge and expert fauna commentary with an emphasis on whales
- Multi-level viewing throughout the entire vessel
- Hydrophone to listen to the whales 'sing'
- Delicious morning tea AND lunch on morning cruise; afternoon tea AND dinner on afternoon cruise
- Courtesy bus transfers
Please contact our friendly team to book in this tour as part of your stay.
We are very lucky to have many wonderful tour operators in Hervey Bay!
Please head to the Visit Fraser Coast website for more options, or feel free to call our friendly team before your arrival for a chat on which tour would suit you the best.